One of my goals for the upcoming year is to find new ways to incorporate worship into all aspects of my family’s life. Praising God should naturally overflow into every aspect of our lives!
Psalm 19:1 says that:
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
The more my family learns about God, the Creator of heaven and earth, the more we feel like He is beckoning us to step into nature and glorify Him through the magnificent wonders of His creation!
Together, we’re making a conscious effort to be aware of how we spend our free time. Instead of building our lives solely around high-tech activities, which is really easy to do in today’s busy world, we’re seeking to disconnect more and return to the fields, gardens and mountains that God created.
We’re seeking ways to meditate on the profound mystery found in John 1:3:
Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made.
Planning special family times that allow us to reconnect with God through His creation not only allows us to bond, relax and create special memories with one another, but also provides us with the opportunity to grow together in God’s Word.
Here are a few ways you and I can create meaningful family time, even in the midst of active schedules!
- Make time for spur-of-the-moment activities that are flexible enough to squeeze into tight schedules at a moment’s notice. Even the busiest families can usually find time (even if it’s last minute) to take a walk in the park or go star-gazing at night to see how many constellations they can identify!
- For rainy or wintery days, plan nature-based activities such as cultivating an herb garden or spending time with your pets. The goal is to share fun things that will focus your family’s attention on God’s creation!
- On weekends, holidays and vacations, plan trips to the zoo, aquarium, or local wildlife sanctuary – anywhere interactions with God’s creation can occur up close in personal, unique, and fun ways!
As we plan our activities, it’s important to spend quality time in God’s Word so that when we gather with our families, we can share the Scriptural insights we’ve discovered and teach our children how everything they’re seeing and experiencing comes from God!
Here are a few Scriptures I’ll be sharing with my family during our upcoming nature walks and as we spend time soaking in the wonders of God’s animal kingdom:
- God made the world and everything in it. He made everything in such a way that everything He created – the earth, the sky, the land, the trees, the stars, the animals and His people – testify to who God is (His character, power, and divinity).
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made so that people are without excuse. – Romans 1:20
- All of nature and all of God’s creation attests to God’s glory.
Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all ocean depths,
Lightning and hail, snow and clouds, stormy winds that do his bidding,
You mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars,
Wild animals and all cattle, small creatures and flying birds,
Kings of the earth and all nations, you princes and all rulers on earth,
Young men and women, old men and children. – Psalm 148:7-12
- God cares for His creation and for the animals because He loves them. We do not have to worry about God caring for our needs because we are so valuable to Him – He loves us so much!
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? – Matthew 6:26
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. – Matthew 10:29-30
Family outings are particularly important for young children who relish the opportunity to learn more about themselves and the world around them. These special times provide the perfect backdrop for teaching our kids about the God who loves them so incredibly much!
Why not surprise your kids by treating them to the following stories before your next family outing?
- Baa! Oink! Moo! God Made The Animals by award-winning author Rhonda Gowler Green is a delightful book to share with the kids! Baa! Oink! Moo! God Made The Animals features the delightful illustrations of David Walker and the story of a mother who lovingly explains to her inquisitive child how God made all of the different animals they encounter on their trip to a local farm – including sheep, pigs and puppies! The rhyme will delight you as much as it does your child!
- Another wonderful story that kids will find enjoying and reassuring is God Made You Nose To Toes by Leslie Parrot and illustrated by Estelle Corke! This rhyming story is designed to help our little ones understand that God created our bodies with unique parts – each with a specific purpose – to help us enjoy life and everything in it because He loves us so much!
What are some of your favorite ways to spend time with your family throughout the week and on the weekends? What Scriptures would you like to share with your family and kids to help them explore the wonders of God’s creation and to help them understand the incredible role and responsibilities God has given them as the pinnacle of His creation?
Baa! Oink! Moo! God Made the Animals
Rhonda Gowler Greene
FaithGateway Price: $9.99
God Made You Nose to Toes
FaithGateway Price: $9.99