Welcome to Bible Study of the Week, where every Sunday we give you the free first sessions of new video Bible studies from leading authors, pastors, and Bible teachers.
This is session one of Galatians: Accepted and Free, our upcoming FREE online Bible study with Jada Edwards starting May 10th!
Opening Group Activity (10–15 minutes)
What you’ll need:
◃ Sheet of blank paper for each person
◃ Several packets of colored pencils or crayons
- Invite participants to sketch, or summarize in a few words, a memory in which they felt acutely unaccepted.
- On the flip side of the paper, invite participants to do the same regarding a memory in which they felt acutely accepted.
- Discuss the following:
- Briefly describe each image.
- What are some of the negative effects of feeling unaccepted?
- What are some of the positive effects of feeling wholly accepted?
Scripture covered in this Session:
Session One Video (23 minutes)
Notes: As you watch, take notes on anything that stands out to you.
The letter of Galatians embodies a sense of urgent, direct language. God created a plan that you could never achieve on your own.
Any alteration to the Gospel is a complete distortion of the Gospel.
How many times do we doubt the authority that God has given us?
Followers of Jesus Christ are called into unpopular situations.
Distort means “to transpose.”
It doesn’t matter if you have a history of great decisions or ones you’re not proud of, God has a calling for you.
Personal testimony shows us that God doesn’t do things without reason.
Group Discussion Questions (30–45 minutes)
- Read Galatians 1:1, 11-16. When have you experienced people second-guessing you because you didn’t match what others expected? How did you respond?
- The Judaizers taught God’s acceptance through Christ + Select Mosaic laws = Enough. Look at the equation below. What are you most tempted to place in the blank and why? (ex., Striving, Achieving, Volunteering, Being Nicer, Behaving Better, etc.) What are you most tempted to place in the blank.
God’s acceptance through Christ + ……………………………………………………………………………… = Enough.
- Jada teaches, “When we understand that we are accepted and claimed by Christ we can confidently walk in His authority. We don’t have to conjure up self-confidence or recite man-made mantras. We can boldly stand before men because we are fully embraced by Christ.
What are some man-made mantras that you have recited?
(I am as good as my success, I must be the smartest in order to be accepted, etc.) What Christ-centered statements can you replace them with? (Use the truth of God’s Word to rewrite your mental script.)
- Read Galatians 1:6-9. When have you stayed silent when you needed to speak up? What caused you to remain silent — your insecurity, fear of rejection, lack of authority, or something else? Explain.
- Read Galatians 1:15-24 in which Paul clearly explains his calling and assignment. Take a few minutes to write two sentences that sum up how God has called and assigned you. Share your response.
- In what ways are you looking for validation from others instead of from God? How is waiting for others’ validations hindering you from being obedient to what God has called you to? What is the story that God has been writing through you?
Close in Prayer
Consider the following prompts as you pray together:
◃ Help us to accept that Christ has fully accepted us.
◃ Give us strength to stand on the authority of God alone and refuse to seek the acceptance of man.
◃ Learn to boldly live out our personal assignment from God.
Excerpted with permission from Galatians Study Guide: Accepted and Free by Jada Edwards, copyright Jada Edwards.
* * *
We’d love to your thoughts on the Galatians Study Guide in the comments!
Join the Galatians: Accepted & Free Online Bible Study with Jada!
Have you ever experienced a moment when you felt unaccepted?
Perhaps it was the way you dressed, your accent, or the color of your skin. When we sense that we’re unaccepted, it has this way of unraveling us from the inside out.
Your freedom and full acceptance is found in Christ alone. And because of God’s authority, we don’t need to seek human acceptance anymore.
We want to invite you to join us for the Galatians: Accepted & Free Online Bible Study beginning on May 10th! For six weeks, we’re going to walk through one of the most passionate letters that Paul wrote and we’ll walk away understanding the freedom we have in Christ’s acceptance.
When you sign up, you’ll received a collection of FREE resources to help get you started for the study like Scripture memory cards, a Galatians Quick Facts sheet, and more!
Are you in?!