The throne of grace is a spiritual place. It’s not a location geographically that you can visit, but the promises concerning it are so immense that they’re almost beyond belief. God has so much to say about the throne of grace and what will happen in our lives to change them for the better when we approach it in faith. All kinds of wonderful things happen at the throne of grace. ~ JIM CYMBALA
If you could snap your fingers and be anywhere in the world immediately, where would you go? Some people would want to be transported to a childhood home. Others would want to be on a mountaintop or distant seashore. There are people who absolutely love the Disneyland theme parks, and they would want to go there. Some would want to stay near home and others would want to be on the other side of the planet.
Now, let’s add to the fun of our imaginary instantaneous trip. Who would you want to take with you? It might be a spouse, a child, a grandchild, a friend, or maybe a group of people. Some folks might want to take someone they rarely get to see. Others might want to be reunited with a loved one who has passed away. Some creative people might decide to go to their imaginary place with a historical person they have never met. Since this is all imaginary, the sky is the limit. Any place. Any person.
Get the picture in your mind. With the snap of your fingers, you would be in the most desirable place with a favorite or fascinating person. How amazing would this be? What would you pay for this? How much joy would you experience? What stories would you have to tell when you were done and came back home?
The truth is, there is a place you can go that is better than your wildest imagination. There is Someone already waiting there for you who is closer than your best friend, more loving than your kindest relative, more interesting than anyone you have met on this planet, and more generous than you can imagine or dream. There is a place you can go immediately, any time, and it costs you nothing to get there. And this place is not imaginary; in fact, it is the most real place in the entire universe.
The reason it costs nothing for you to go there is because Someone else has already paid the fare. Jesus gave the full price so that you can have complete access to the God of the universe. This place is called the throne of grace. It is more beautiful than your wildest imagination can comprehend, and you will find a loving welcome every time you arrive.
Get ready. The way is open. It is stunning. God is waiting to welcome you. Are you ready to go?
Talk About It
Welcome to the first session of Life-Changing Prayer. If you or any of your fellow group members do not know one another, take a few minutes to introduce yourselves. Then, to get things started, discuss the following questions:
- If you could go to any place on the planet right now, and have anyone there with you, where would you go? Whom would you meet there?
- Why would this be such a special time?
Watch Session 1:
Video Teaching Notes
Play the video segment for session one. As you watch, use the following outline to record any thoughts or concepts that stand out to you.
What happens at the throne of grace
Who may call on God at His throne of grace
The way to the throne of grace
The surprising provision and miracles we receive
Why we can ask God with confidence
We can know God is ready to meet us… now
My favorite Scripture is Jeremiah 29:11. God says in His Word,
‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’
That Scripture helped me, because when I didn’t have a plan for my life, I didn’t have any hope. When everything around me seemed like it was harming me, God reminded me that he had a great plan for my life. It is not to harm me, but it is to prosper me. God is just so faithful. He has just been so faithful in my life. — Sherene
Take a few minutes with your group members to discuss what you just watched and explore these concepts in Scripture.
- Think about a time you felt God’s presence in your life as you cried out to Him. How did this experience affect you?
- Read Hebrews 4:14–16. What do you learn about Jesus in this passage? How should these truths compel you to draw near the throne of grace frequently and confidently?
- As you read this passage, what do you learn about how God sees you? Why is it essential for you to see yourself though God’s eyes if you are going to draw near the throne of grace with absolute assurance that you are always welcome?
- Read Hebrews 10:19–25. According to this passage, what has Jesus done to open the way for us to draw near the Father with confidence? Why is it essential that we remember the work and love of Jesus as we draw near the throne of grace?
- Read Hebrews 9:6–14. What contrasts do you see between the human priests in the Old Testament and Jesus, the great and final High Priest? How is the ministry, sacrifice, and work of Jesus better than all that came before Him?
- Think about a time you drew near God, asked for His provision, and He showed up and provided in ways that only He could. Why is it important for you to remember and tell these stories of God’s amazing provision and power?
- God is not only concerned that you come to his throne of grace, but He also wants you to come with the right attitude and heart condition. What are some of the things that get in the way of you approaching God with a confident heart?
- What prayer do you need to bring before God’s throne of grace today? How can your group members approach God confidently with you and cry out with you to the loving God who is waiting for you to draw near?
Use the following prompts to guide your group as you approach God’s throne of grace together:
- Thank your heavenly Father that He has opened the door wide and invited you into His presence at all times.
- Give praise to Jesus for making the way for you to draw near through the willing sacrifice of His own life and through the power of His death-defeating resurrection.
- Pray for confidence and B to draw near the throne of grace as a normal part of your life.
- Cry out to God for a specific area of need, provision, or protection that has been shared by one of your group members.
- Lift up words of praise and adoration to the God who has made a way for you to be in intimate communication and relationship with Him.
God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him, who talk to Him, and who ask Him to help them.
* * *
Come share your thoughts with us on our blog. We want to hear from you!