Tip 2: Being Attentive
Being attentive is noticing and naming what is happening in both the group process and in individuals.
• Proverbs 4:1 and 5:1—God wants us to be attentive to him
• Proverbs 22:17—God wants us to be attentive to others
• Romans 12:10—We honor each other when we pay attention
Why it’s important:
• Communicates love and care to those in your group
• Enables you to see where God is at work in the group
• Helps you to be aware of how people are doing in the group
How to do it:
• Pay attention to whether the following things are occurring in the group:
– Do people feel safe?
– Do they feel listened to and understood?
– Is the group asking follow-up questions?
– Is the conversation engaging? Does it flow?
– Does the group notice if someone is hurting and respond accordingly?
• When someone notices something about the group, they “name” it or mention it to the rest of the group
Share Your Thoughts
Has your group struggled in this area? Share your stories and tips with fellow small group leaders in the comments section below.