Do you know what you believe and why it matters? Discover the 10 key beliefs of the Christian faith, in addition to the 10 key practices and 10 key virtues of a Christian, in BELIEVE, the groundbreaking Bible-reading experience that will anchor every member of your family in the core teachings of Scripture. If you enjoyed reading THE STORY, you will love engaging with the Bible through BELIEVE — the spiritual growth experience that helps Christians of all ages THINK, ACT, and BE more like Jesus.
In BELIEVE you will learn the:
- 10 Key Beliefs of the Christian Faith
- 10 Key Practices of a Jesus-Follower
- 10 Key Virtues of a Person Who is Becoming More Like Jesus
Today we’re presenting to you the free first session of the 30-part BELIEVE video Bible Study.
Learn about BELIEVE
* * *
Chapter One: God
As an introduction to Chapter 1: God, use a scale of 1 – 6 to rate how strongly you believe the statements below (1 = no belief at all, 6 = complete confidence).
______ I believe the God of the Bible is the only true God.
______ I believe the God of the Bible is one in essence but distinct in person — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
______ I believe Jesus is God in the flesh — who died and rose bodily from the dead.
______ I believe the Holy Spirit is God and dwells in Christians to empower them to live the Christian life.
Watch the Video for Lesson 1
Video Teaching Notes
As you watch the video segment for Session 1, use the following outline to record some of the main points. (The answer key is found at the end of the session.)
- W. Tozer wrote, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” Why? Because this mindset — or absence of it — will drive all we _____ and all we _____.
- Key Question: Who is ______?
- “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities — His eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are _______________________.” (Romans 1:20)
- Key Idea: I believe the God of the Bible is the one ______________ — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- God is three persons who _________ a being.
- “Then God said, _______ ______ make mankind in our image, in our likeness… So God created mankind in His image, in the image of God He created them; male and female He created them.” (Genesis 1:26-27)
- One of the biggest failures for humanity, beginning with the fall of Adam and Eve, is when we try to take over the role of ______ in our lives.
- (Key Application) Because God is God… I am _____… He is in __________ and in control… I want to know and follow His _______ for my life.
- (Key Application) Because I was created in the image of God and for community… I recognize others’ full ________________ and respect boundaries… I look out for the rights, preferences, and ___________ of others… I _________ and enjoy others.
Begin your discussion by reciting the Key Verse and Key Idea together as a group. On your first attempt, use your notes if you need help. On your second attempt, try to state them completely from memory.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. — 2 Corinthians 13:14
I believe the God of the Bible is the one true God — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
As a group, discuss your thoughts and feelings about the following declarations. Which statements are easy to declare with certainty? Which are more challenging, and why?
- I believe the God of the Bible is the one true God.
- I believe the God of the Bible is one in essence but distinct in person — Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- I believe Jesus is God in flesh — who died and rose bodily from the dead.
- I believe the Holy Spirit is God and dwells in Christians to empower them to live the Christian life.
Based on your group’s dynamics and spiritual maturity, choose the 2-3 questions that will lead to the best discussion about this week’s Key Idea.
- If you only had two minutes to answer the question, “Who is God?” how would you respond?
- How does your understanding of God impact your day-to-day decisions?
- What are the most common reasons people struggle to believe that the God of the Bible is the one true God? What helped you get past these obstacles? Or, what obstacles are you still facing?
Read Luke 3 (see the section “God in Three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit” in Believe) and choose 1-2 questions that will lead to the greatest discussion in your group.
- In what ways is the Trinity a challenging concept to comprehend?
- If God (the Trinity) is a community within Himself, and we are made in his image, what does that tell us about ourselves?
- How does today’s culture help or hinder us from experiencing the community we were created for?
- What specific actions can this group undertake to create healthy community?
Use the following case study as a model for a real-life situation where you might put this week’s Key Idea into practice.
Mike is one of your favorite coworkers. He is funny, hardworking, and passionate about life. As a new Christian, he comes to you seeking help, because he and his wife are struggling. They are constantly butting heads, arguing, and simply not getting along. Mike thinks it is just easier to walk away but really wants to know what you think.
Using the Key Applications from this session, what gentle advice would you give him? (If needed, refer to your video notes for a reminder of this session’s Key Applications.)
Close your time together with prayer. Share your prayer requests with one another.
Ask God to help you put this week’s Key Idea into practice.
If your church is doing the Believe church-wide campaign, bring this study guide with you to church and use the following space to take notes from the pastor’s or teacher’s message. If your church provides an outline, consider keeping it with this guide so you will have all of your notes and thoughts from your Believe journey in one place.
Watch the Believe Student Video
* * *
Join the conversation on our blog! We would love to hear your answers to the questions for Believe Lesson One!