“We know Christ came to speak life — so why does our inner critic keep showing up and stealing the mic? If we’re honest, she’s a harsh one, saying things we’d never dream of saying to others…” – Hayley Morgan, Preach to Yourself
Do you struggle with negative self-talk? Do you often feel like you will never measure up? Or you just can’t get it right?
About a year ago, Hayley Morgan asked 500 women what they have on loop in their minds every day. All of the responses boiled down to 4 main condemning loops:
- I can’t do this.
- I’m not enough.
- Things will never change.
- This is all hopeless.
We all have these inner conversations going on all the time. ~ Hayley
These false beliefs and negative statements about ourselves versus what we know to be solid Gospel truth — it’s a civil war in between our ears, isn’t it? As Jesus followers we know the truth of the Word, but sometimes mental clutter and fatalistic self-talk are thunderously loud.
When what clangs around our minds contradicts the Bible, we’ve got some work to do. Peace and joy are at stake.
When we hear ourselves playing a bad news loop, we stop it right away. Then we put something better on. We replace it with truth. ~ Hayley
Negative talk has always been an issue for me. My head, especially in the middle of the night or when I feel afraid or overwhelmed… well, it’s a bad neighborhood! I bet you can relate. Those internal conversations include replays of what other people have said about me (not from God) in the past that I have digested as facts, my own insecurities and emotional self-flaggelation, and projections into the future that are absolutely the worst-case scenario. It’s grim, stressful, discouraging, frightening… and untrue!
That’s why I am fired up to introduce our fall Book Club selection — Preach to Yourself by Hayley Morgan! This book will help you learn how to talk back to the critic in your head that condemns you with bad news even when you know better! It’s a mix of neuroscience, Scripture, and practical application. It will help you identify the toxic loops where you get stuck and replace them with the truth of God!
As Hayley says in the book,
“We need to ground ourselves in these truths…. Scriptures offers these tried and true ways to sustain us in our fight against the bad news we tell ourselves—news that is no match for the good news that Jesus offers.”
Does that sound like a message you need, too? We hope you will join the book club!
We are challenging each and everyone one of us book clubbers to Talk Back with Truth (#TalkBackwithTruthChallenge) for seven days straight, November 1-7, 2018! And then we’ll celebrate with a LIVE chat with Hayley on Thursday, November 8th!
And just for signing up, you’ll receive these FREE goodies:
- Talk Back with Truth Scripture Cards (for when you need affirmations and reminders)
- A Silencing Your Inner Critic Self-Assessment/Questionnaire
- The first 2 Chapters of Preach to Yourself so you can get started reading right away!
Throughout November, you can share your truth-talk using #talkbackwithtruth @faithgateway @hayleyEmorgan
Let’s share Bible verses with each other! Let’s share biblical affirmations!
Here are some examples:
- Today, I choose to remember that God ordained me to mother my children (and grandchildren) and He will empower me to walk in grace, peace, truth… and a sound mind! 2 Timothy 1:7
- Yes, I’m facing a mountain of a challenge. But, I can do this. God gave me this job because He’s got my back. He didn’t set me up to fail. Jesus brought me this far to bring me through! Isaiah 41:13
- Whew! Dieting and exercising is hard work! I’m not where I want to be, but with Jesus I’m getting there. I’m worth the fight. God made me in His image, so I look in the mirror and say, “Hello, Beautiful!” Genesis 1:27
- God forgave me. He forgives me. God will never turn His back on me, His beloved child. I stand before Jesus decked out in righteous clothes that He bought for me. I am radically loved. Isaiah 61:10
In Christ we believers are fully accepted (Romans 15:7), wholly loved, chosen (Colossians 3:12-14), celebrated, rejoiced over with singing (Zephaniah 3:17), delighted in. We have never known such perfect love on this earth but it is truly ours.
Are you in? I hope you join us for the Preach to Yourself book club! Register here now. It’s time to speak life-affirming, godly words of truth and live lives full of peace and joy!
Because we can know the mind of Christ, we take hold of the mind of Christ and obey the mind of Christ. With the power of the Spirit, we can discern spiritual things and lay down our false beliefs. You and I are not stuck in our own chaotic minds. We have the mind of Christ, which is very good news indeed! ~ Hayley
* * *
So, are you in? Let us know in the comments! And, you can sign up right here!